To relax after work or to experience a concert more intensely – these are just two of the various ways cannabis is used in Switzerland. Between 300,000 and 500,000 people use the substance either occasionally or regularly. Most of them are between 15 and 24 years old, and it is in this age group that problems are most likely to arise.
The effects of cannabis depend not only on how and how much of it is consumed, but to a high degree on how a person feels at the time of consumption: positive as well as negative emotions can be amplified. In people with a genetic predisposition, cannabis can increase the risk of developing psychosis, especially if used frequently and started early. What increases this risk further is the fact that the average THC content of many cannabis products today is higher than it was in the 1980s. Regular use of high-potency cannabis increases the risk of unwanted psychological effects.
Does your cannabis use cause you problems? We are here for you – whether you wish to reduce or give up your consumption. We can show you ways to change your consumption habits.
Any mental health or social issues you might have will also be addressed. You will be accompanied respectfully towards a better quality of life and better health by our knowledgeable therapists and physicians. Treatment will be individually tailored to your needs.
This is how we support you
- addiction treatment: information, assessment and advice, support controlling or reducing consumption, outpatient detox, aftercare and relapse prevention
- psychiatry and psychotherapy: mental health assessment and psychiatric treatment
- GP services: general internal medicine, infectiology
- social care: support in everyday life, e.g. dealing with problems in the social environment, at work, at school or in an apprenticeship, with finances or with the authorities and landlords
- outpatient/legal measures to reinstate a driving licence or to comply with a court order
Would you like to get in touch or do you have any questions regarding treatment? We are there for you, with straightforward and confidential help.